Blackpool have offered teenager Bright Samuel an improved contract in their bid to avoid losing yet another young talent.
The winger again caught the eye during Saturday’s season-opener at Colchester but is yet to sign a professional deal at Bloomfield Road.
Fellow youth-team graduated Harrison McGahey, Connor Hunt, Mark Waddington and Dom Telford were all allowed to walk out of the door after failing to agree Pool deals.
Eighteen-year-old Samuel was offered a professional deal last season – but did not sign it – and now an improved contract has been tabled.
Samuel remains contracted to the club as a youth player until the end of the season, at which point he would be able to leave for nothing unless a new deal is struck.
But manager Neil McDonald says he is desperate to get the winger tied up.
McDonald revealed: “We are in talks still with Bright. That’s ongoing at the moment.
“We want to get that sorted as quickly as we can.”
Speaking for the first time about many of this summer’s talking points, McDonald also revealed he made a last-gasp attempt to keep Waddington and Telford at the club.
The duo signed for Premier League side Stoke last month despite a plea from the new Pool boss.
McDonald said: “We lost two young lads this summer but their minds were made up before I arrived. I tried to change their minds and I think I almost did.
“They decided to go elsewhere and I think that will be their loss.
“I want players who want to play for Blackpool and are proud to. I think Bright has a big future with us.”
Another youth-team product, goalkeeper Miles Boney, is expected to be on the bench for tomorrow’s Capital One Cup-tie at Northampton, having himself been offered a professional deal.
The 18-year-old spent a week on trial at Manchester City this summer and has now been offered a two-year deal at Bloomfield Road.