Clark just couldn’t take any more at Blackpool

Former Blackpool boss Lee Clark
Former Blackpool boss Lee Clark
0
Have your say

Blackpool this morning begin their search for a new manager after Lee Clark resigned, despite an eleventh-hour plea from Karl Oyston.

The 42-year-old decided enough was enough after six crazy months in charge at Bloomfield Road, which saw the Seasiders relegated with the lowest points tally in Championship history.

While official statements from the club give little away, The Gazette understands Oyston pleaded with Clark to change his mind after he had made his intentions clear on Friday morning.

Clark’s assistant Alan Thompson had resigned the previous Saturday, following the abandoned season-closer against Huddersfield, because he felt the job was impossible.

The rest of Pool’s coaching staff headed to Marbella on Thursday for a team-building break.

However, it is believed that while in Spain they reached the same conclusion as Thompson about their prospects of rebuilding the club and Clark’s resignation was confirmed on Saturday morning.

In his final interview with The Gazette last week, Clark described his time at Blackpool as a “nightmare” and admitted he was having doubts about continuing in the role.

He told The Gazette: “I thought it was an opportunity to rebuild the club and give everyone something to shout about.

“But after seeing what happened in the final game, I had serious concerns about whether or not I could turn it around.

“I want to be part of a team and club which has a good atmosphere, a club whose supporters enjoy coming to games.

“It hasn’t worked out that way at Blackpool. If anything, it’s been the opposite.”

Clark was well aware that he never enjoyed a strong relationship with the Pool fans.

Indeed, for that final game nine days ago he chose not to venture into his technical area in fear on inciting the crowd.

He won only three of his 33 matches in charge, and none of the final 18 since January.

His frustration off the field also grew as his recent plans did not come to fruition.

Clark was unsuccessful in bringing a key member of staff into the Bloomfield Road fold and also saw numerous offers he made to players turned down.

In the end, it all came down to a simple statement released on the club’s website at 9am on Saturday.

Clark said: “After a great deal of thought, I have come to the decision that it is not in the best interests of either myself or Blackpool FC that I continue as manager of the football club, and I have therefore tendered my resignation to the chairman, which he has accepted.

“It only remains to thank my staff, the players, the supporters and everybody else involved with the club for their help and support and to wish them the best of luck for the future.”