Bowyer fighting to keep hold of Kelvin Mellor

Blackpool have reportedly accepted a bid from Bradford for Kelvin Mellor
Blackpool have reportedly accepted a bid from Bradford for Kelvin Mellor
Share this article

Blackpool manager Gary Bowyer says he is fighting to keep hold of Kelvin Mellor following news Bradford City have tabled a bid for the defender.

It had previously been reported that an offer had been accepted, but it has since emerged Blackpool have yet to respond to the Bantams' bid.

It is currently unclear how much the bid is worth.

Wigan Athletic are also thought to be keen, but it is understood Bradford have moved ahead of the League One leaders in the chase for the Crewe-born defender.

READ MORE: Blackpool accept Bradford bid for Kelvin Mellor

Losing Mellor will be a huge blow for Blackpool boss Gary Bowyer, who had previously gone on record as saying the main focus this month will be keeping hold of his best players.

But the Blackpool boss is remaining positive and hopes Mellor can stay.

“The only thing I can guarantee you with Kelvin is that he’ll be playing at AFC Wimbledon on Saturday," Bowyer told The Gazette.

“We’ve spoken to him and I’ve been open and honest. He’s been open and honest with me too, which I think is the best way for a player and a manager to deal with it because ultimately it’s not us who sanctions the deal.

“I just told him to concentrate on the football.

“It doesn’t surprise me people are interested in him because of the impact he’s made since he arrived on a free transfer. It’s been an outstanding bit of business if he were to go.

“But at this moment in time, we’re not in a position to let him go because Curtis Tilt is still out suspended and Andy Taylor is only just coming back, so we’d need to bring in defenders before anything was to possibly materialise.

“I’d rather not talk about him going yet because I’d rather stay in the positive. I’m fighting to keep the lad.”