Blackpool’s Rovers friendly ends with honours even

Blackpool keeper Sam Slocombe was called into action at Prenton Park
Blackpool keeper Sam Slocombe was called into action at Prenton Park
Have your say



Blackpool’s latest pre-season runout ended with both teams firing blanks in a goalless draw at Prenton Park last night.

Having watched his team impress against Blackburn Rovers last time out, Pool boss Gary Bowyer took the opportunity to give runouts to a number of players.

Four trialists were named in his squad as Bowyer seeks to beef up his available options ahead of the new season beginning a week on Saturday.

However, it was an unchanged team from that which started against Blackburn which Bowyer named with Sam Slocombe again starting in goal.

Kyle Vassell was handed another opportunity up front after impressing at the weekend, supported by Danny Phillirkirk, with Brad Potts and Colin Daniel the wide men.

It was Rovers who had the first opportunity as Slocombe was called into action to deny James Norwood.

Pool’s keeper was tested again moments later but was well placed to deal with Jake Kirby’s effort from distance.

Daniel had Blackpool’s first attempt at goal when a corner fell to him but he wasted that opportunity at goal.

Both keepers were again tested as the first half progressed with Potts’ volley saved by Scott Davies, while at the other end, Slocombe made a low save to thwart Kirby.

Pool’s keeper then got the better of Rovers’ Lois Maynard but Bowyer’s men twice came close to scoring before the break.

Jim McAlister blazed an effort off target when he should have done better before Vassell’s quick turn and shot ended with the ball flashing wide of the target.

Maynard headed over Slocombe’s goal before the break, after which the Pool keeper again denied Kirby and then saw Michael Ihiekwe off target from the resultant corner.

Vassell fired over the bar but was then denied by the woodwork after his shot got the better of Davies.

Rovers’ replacement Adam Mekki wasted a decent free-kick opportunity before Bowyer decided to shuffle his pack, introducing 10 new faces with 18 minutes remaining.

One of those players, replacement keeper Kyle Letheren, was in the action almost immediately to turn Lee Vaughan’s cross over the bar before pushing away Norwood’s volley to ensure the game ended goalless.