All clear for Fergie after horror clash

Barry Ferguson injury
Barry Ferguson injury
Have your say

BARRY Ferguson has been given the all clear.

The Blackpool midfielder was involved in a nasty-looking clash with team-mate Isaiah Osbourne during Saturday’s 1-0 home defeat by Peterborough, resulting in an eight-minute break in play .

Barry Ferguson injury

Barry Ferguson injury

Ferguson, who was unconscious on the pitch and lying face down, was placed in a neck brace and taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

It was initially feared the 35-year-old had broken his cheekbone but scans have revealed only minor damage to the ligaments in his chin.

He was discharged from hospital just after the full-time whistle and was able to walk back into the stadium unaided.

Manager Paul Ince said it was a big relief and the manager is hopeful that Ferguson will be fit for Pool’s next match at Blackburn on Friday week.

Ince said: “It was a big concern when he went down for so long. You always think the worst.

“It’s great news that the scan came back OK. To see him walking back into the ground after the game was a big relief for us all.”

And Ince joked: “These Jocks are soft, aren’t they? I’d never have got on a stretcher.”

The flow of the team’s play was broken by Ferguson’s injury and Ince added: “Losing Barry was a big loss to us. I said last week he was pivotal to the way we play.

“We lost him when we were in the ascendancy and then play stopped for eight or so minutes.

“Barry is a massive plus for us. We were on top of the game until he got injured.

“The stoppage interrupted the flow of the game and how we were playing.”

Skipper Alex Baptiste says Ferguson’s speedy recovery was the only positive to take from Saturday’s game.

Baptiste said: “Obviously Barry is really influential for us but the main thing is that he’s OK.

“We train with each other every day and spend a lot of time together, so it’s not great to see one of your team-mates struggling like that.

“It disrupted us, there’s no doubt about that. He was OK after the game, so that’s the main thing.”