A ‘killer’ blow for worried McDonald

Bright Osayi-Samuel rues another missed chance
Bright Osayi-Samuel rues another missed chance
Share this article
Have your say

Neil McDonald admits Blackpool’s seven-game losing run is “killing” him.

Two late goals saw the Seasiders fall to yet another defeat last night at Port Vale, leaving them level on points with League One’s bottom club Crewe.

Another toothless display in front of goal left Pool without a goal in six games and manager McDonald admits he’s concerned.

“It’s killing me,” he said. “We have lost seven on the trot and haven’t scored in November.

“We just can’t put the ball in the net and are being heavily punished whenever we make a mistake.

“We aren’t happy about losing all these games, missing too many chances, and we’re feeling a bit sorry for ourselves.

“It’s not through the lack of trying but trying isn’t enough now – it’s all about results.

“The table doesn’t lie. To get up the table we need to score more goals.

“It’s bound to worry you where we are in the league. We do everything right as much as we possibly can but it’s a big worry that we can’t score.

Pool were the better side for much of last night’s rainsoaked match at Vale Park.

But after Pool saw a number of chances drift away, it seemed almost inevitable when Ajay Leitch-Smith broke Pool’s hearts with seven minutes remaining.

Substitute Chris Birchall’s goal five minutes later rubbed salt into Pool’s gaping wounds.

Despite another defeat, McDonald was actually pleased with his side’s display.

He said: “I don’t know how we lost that game. It’s the best we’ve played for quite a while.

“We created 10 good chances and should have been 3-0 up. We just can’t put the ball in the back of the net.

“We set out with a game-plan which I think worked. We just didn’t score.

“We went with physicality up front with Kwame Thomas and I thought it worked. We created lots of chances.”

What McDonald wasn’t so happy with was the performance of referee David Webb.

He was furious a foul wasn’t awarded in the run-up to Port Vale’s opening goal.

“There were two blatant free-kicks in the box,” McDonald blasted. “The referee didn’t see them and we were punished.

“Then we conceded the second goal and it was game over. David Norris was fouled and Clark Robertson was blocked off. The goal should not have stood.”