94th minute heartbreak for Blackpool

Blackburn celebrate their late goal
Blackburn celebrate their late goal
Share this article
Have your say

TWO goals from returning skipper Charlie Adam - one a brilliant free kick - propelled the Seasiders to the brink of a massive three points at Lancashire rivals Blackburn ... until last gasp heartbreak.

Pool were on the verge of taking a major leap towards safety and plunging rivals Rovers into deep relation trouble.

But a goal in the third minute of stoppage time from Junior Hoilett snatched a point.

It is now unbelievably tight at the bottom end of the Premier League - three points separate bottom from 13th.

Cheered on by 5,000 travelling supporters, Adam scored from the penalty spot on 24 minutes after a dubious foul on Gary Taylor-Fletcher. Nelson’s challenge as Taylor-Fletcher went to shoot seemed genuine and how Howard Webb adjudged it a foul is a bit of a mystery.

Not that Pool cared, or Adam, as he stroked the ball calmly past Paul Robinson from 12 yards.

The skipper scored a superb second on 28 minutes, picking himself up after a clumsy foul by Jermaine Jones on the edge of the area to fire a brilliant, curling free kick into the top corner. It was so good, Robinson didn’t even move.

Luke Varney, playing superbly on his return to the team, had two goals disallowed as Pool bossed the first period.

However, a goal immediately after the restart from Rovers skipper Chris Samba - slamming the ball in from 12 yards after Pool failed to clear the ball from their 18 yard box - made it a nervy second period.

The home side twice hit the woodwork through Martin Olsson and lively winger Hoilett.

But just when it seemed the Seasiders were set to hang on and seal a memorable and vital victory, Richard

Kingson failed to deal with a Paul Robinson punt forward and Hoilett was in the right place at the right time to head the ball into an unguarded net.

Holloway had gone back to his tried and trusted formula for the game, bringing back Elliot Grandin, Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Varney.

Pool’s two Blackburn born and bred lads missed out though, James Beattie and Brett Ormerod on the substitutes bench.

Alex Baptiste replaced Neal Eardley at right back, with Craig Cathcart back at the heart of the defence after missing the Chelsea game last time out with food poisoning.

Everyone in tangerine played well, Jason Puncheon a revelation. But despite all their efforts, their good work was undone in the final seconds.

When all is said and done though, Blackpool would have happily taken a draw before kick off. However, the fact they let slip a two-goal lead makes the result almost a disappointment.

Still, it’s a point - and that could be crucial come the end of the season.

BLACKPOOL: Kingson, Baptiste, Cathcart, Evatt, Crainey, Vaughan, Adam, Grandin, Puncheon, Taylor-Fletcher, Varney. Subs: Halstead, Southern, Eardley, Ormerod, Phillips, Reid, Beattie

BLACKBURN: Robinson, Jermaine Jones, Olsson, Samba, Nelsen, Emerton, Nzonzi, Santa Cruz, Hoilett, Salgado, Diouff. Subs: Bunn, Kalinic, Pederson, Rochima, Benjani, Phil Jones, Roberts

REF: Howard Webb (Rotherham)