Brian Rose has sights set on May return to the ring

Brian Rose is hoping to return to the ring in May
Brian Rose is hoping to return to the ring in May

Blackpool boxer Brian Rose has banished any thoughts of retirement and has committed to returning to the ring later this year.

READ MORE: Blackpool boxer Jack Arnfield accepts blame for title defeat

Rose lost to fellow Blackpool fighter Jack Arnfield in 2017

Rose lost to fellow Blackpool fighter Jack Arnfield in 2017


Rose hasn’t fought since losing the fight dubbed ‘the Battle of Blackpool’ against Jack Arnfield back in March 2017.

Almost a year on, the former British super welterweight champion, now 33, insists he still has plenty more to give.

He told The Gazette: “It’s been 11 or 12 months now since my last fight, but I actually had a nerve injury in my tricep which kept me out of action.

“But my tricep is working again and I’ve got back going again, so I’m now ready to return.

“They said it could have taken up to two years to resolve but in the end it only took nine months, so I’m quite happy with that and I’m looking to fight again. I’m really looking forward to it.

“I get married on March 31. I know it sounds bad but I want to get that out of the way and then I’m going to fight after that.

“So I’m looking to fight mid-May. I’m fit to fight now, I’ve been in training and I’ve kept fit to live the life of an athlete. It’s been a frustrating time because of the injury but at the same time it’s been refreshing as well.

“I’ve recharged my batteries and had a think about the changes I’ve needed to make. Now I’m ready to go again and start winning titles again.”

Rose, who has won 29 fights, suffered five defeats and contested one draw, has committed to remaining at middleweight.

He previously won the British title at the division below, but he believes he would now struggle to make that weight.

He added: “I know I’ve said it many times before, but I do believe I can get back to my best if I do the right things and listen to those around me.

“I’m going to fight at middleweight again. I’m now 33 and I think I would struggle to make light middleweight.

“I’ve built into middleweight and I feel as though I’m ready to stamp my authority on the division now.

“I’ve always said I’m above British level. I won the British title at light middleweight and defended it three times in a year.

“I’ve said before I don’t want to drop back down to that but I think I’ve got to consider fighting for a British title again.

“There would be nothing better than being a two-time British champion at two different weights. So why not?

“I enjoy training and I enjoy keeping fit, so if fighting for a British title gives me that structure and earning a little bit of money at the same time, then I’d be happy.

“I take things fight by fight now. I said if I lost to Carson Jones the second time I’d have retired and then I said if I lost to Matthew Macklin I’d consider retiring as well, but I didn’t.

“I came back and won a fight and then I obviously lost to Jack Arnfield, so of course I considered retirement after that fight because I didn’t know where to go.

“But over the last 11 or 12 months I’ve thought about fighting again and watching the boxing and being around it, I’ve got that hunger back and I really miss it.

“That’s one of the main reasons why I’m going to fight again.”