Bouncing back in style

Nathan Woodman and Martin Hayes celebrate a goal
Nathan Woodman and Martin Hayes celebrate a goal
Share this article
Have your say

Blackpool Men returned to winning ways in North West three north with a comprehensive 9-1 victory over Southport.

Still some way off full strength, Blackpool welcomed back several players from injury and dominated the game, with careful build-up play.

James Slater finished a flowing move for the opener, though the second proved elusive for a while.

But although they missed chances in open play, Blackpool were deadly from penalty corners as the returning Richard Blacow made it 2-0 with a precision drag-flick.

Blacow’s second went in off the post and Ian Swaine struck from close range to make it 4-0 at half-time.

Nagging injuries forced Blackpool to reshuffle and captain Nick Rainbow was forced into some good saves, while Rob Abbott defended well.

Blackpool began to carve out further chances and Chris Hocking made it five from a tight angle.

Swaine scored his second on the break and soon completed his hat-trick with a reverse stick shot.

Blackpool conceded a consolation goal, then Swaine was denied a fourth because the umpire had already blown for a penalty stroke, which Blacow calmly slotted home to complete his hat-trick.

There was just enough time for Jacob Currey to completed the scoring with a deflected shot for fourth-placed Blackpool, who now face a tough run of away games.

Blackpool Seconds also bounced back with a victory, 4-2 at home to their Wigan counterparts.

Top scorer Nathan Woodman opened the scoring with a drag-flick into the top right corner, adding his second from another short corner.

Wigan pulled one back only for Martin Hayes to deflect in a Woodman pass to make it 3-1.

The visitors scored their second against the run of play but Blackpool sealed victory when Jordan Payne burst through from halfway to round the keeper and score from a tight angle. The win keeps Blackpool sixth in division five north.

A Young Blackpool’s Thirds recorded their first win of the season in eight north, 4-0 at home to Urmston, who could only just muster a team of 10.

Harrison Clark opened the scoring with a thunderous shot and Owen Williams made it two after good play by debutant midfielder Ollie Tomlinson.

Clark soon scored his second and went close to a hat-trick before Josh Boyne’s first goal for the team rounded off a dominant first half.

Blackpool couldn’t add to their tally in the second half, though man of the match Sam Owen dominated the midfield and captain Alex Diver’s strikes repeatedly went close.