Today it’s the home of BAE on the Fylde coast.
But in the past, Warton was home to the Royal Air Force and played a role in the Second World War.
Originally Warton Aerodrome, in 1940, new runways were built, so the site could act as a ‘satellite’ airfield for the RAF Coastal Command station, at Squires Gate airfield in Blackpool.
At first, Warton was operated as an air depot of the US Army during the Second World War, as thousands of aircraft were processed on their way to active service in Britain, North Africa, the Mediterranean and mainland Europe.
Following the war, the airfield was designated as RAF Warton.
These archive pictures show the RAF days at Warton, in the early and mid 50s.
Inspections were an important and regular feature at the station. Commander Merton can be seen inspecting the troops, in 1952.
While in May 1955, it was the turn of the Air Officer Commanding No 12 Group Fighter Command, Air vice-marshal W J Crisham.
He is pictured here inspecting the Western sector operations centre and the air traffic control unit at RAF Warton.
With him inspecting the parade, are Flight Lieut WAE Herbert and Squadron leader KJ Plested.
And in 1954, drivers at RAF Warton were presented with diplomas – for one year’s accident free driving, from the Royal Society For The Prevention Of Accidents.
Group Captain H Stones, commanding officer RAF Warton, is seen shaking hands with men as he presents their certificates.
But it wasn’t all work, work, work.
Also shown here is Miss Joan Regan, singing star from the Queens Theatre, Blackpool, blowing bubbles after opening the Warton RAF station garden party.
On the left is the Company Group Captain H stones, and on the right Mrs VGE Shaw, garden party secretary, in a picture dated July 1955.
Warton has been home to the initial Typhoon squadrons of the RAF, No 17 Squadron and no 29 Squadron.