Dog raises alarm at kitchen fire

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

A dog helped raise the alarm when a fire started in a home in Catterall Close, Blackpool.

Fire crews were called at 12.11am yesterday morning.

Two engines from Blackpool attended and found two women outside the property. They had been alerted to the kitchen fire by the family dog and then a smoke alarm.

Crew Manager John Riley said: “We used a ventilation unit to clear the smoke from the property.

“It was established one of the occupiers had accidently turned on a ring on the hob which had burnt a pan and contents filling the property with smoke. The sleeping occupants were first alerted to the fire by the barking of the family dog then shortly afterwards the smoke alarm sounded; they then evacuated and called for us which is the correct thing to do.

“Damage was confined to the pan and contents and there was slight damage from smoke to the whole property.”