LANCASHIRE fire and rescue service has launched a new campaign which focuses on the major dangers which occur more frequently during the winter months.
The campaign focuses on fire safety issues which are relevant during the winter months such as cooking, heating and drinking alcohol.
Cooking is the biggest cause of fire in Lancashire and the main causes of cooking fires include chip pans, grill pans, cooking being left unattended, cooker hotplates being used as storage spaces, residual fat being set on fire because the cookers are not being adequately cleaned and cookers being turned on unintentionally.
Lancashire Combined Fire Authority member, county councillor George Adam, said: “I would urge people to check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British standard taking special care to ensure they are in good working order.
“Never overload the sockets with extra plugs for lights and always switch off and unplug Christmas lights if you are going out or before you go to bed.”
People without working smoke alarms are also being asked to consider installing one as a matter of urgency.
A fire service spokesman said: “Installing a smoke alarm could save your life, as it will act as an early warning sign if a fire does break out, allowing you to get out as soon as possible.”
Smoke alarms can be installed for free by the fire service as part of home fire safety checks.
To book a free home fire safety check call 0800 1691125, alternatively you can visit www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk