‘Why did my wife have to wait three hours?’

John Sillis is angry with the ambulance service taking over 3 hours to get to his wife Dorothy Sillis who had fallen.
John Sillis is angry with the ambulance service taking over 3 hours to get to his wife Dorothy Sillis who had fallen.
Have your say

An angry husband has hit out at the ambulance service, claiming it left his injured wife waiting three hours for paramedics.

Alzheimer’s suffer Dorothy Sillis, 74, who lives in Fleetwood Hall Care Home, fell and hit her head on a table leg shortly after 5.30pm last Friday.

Her husband John, also 74, of Pilling Lane, Preesall, was called by concerned carers and he rushed to be by his wife’s side.

However, after travelling the short distance across Over Wyre, he was astounded to find his wife was still on the floor and there was no sign of the emergency services.

Mr Sillis claims an ambulance did not arrive until 9pm, and has voiced his concerns because he feared his wife could have been seriously injured when she hit her head.

He told The Gazette: “I got there about 5.40pm and the staff had been told not to move her or give her anything to drink.

“Three hours later there was no ambulance. We were told to leave her on the floor but three hours is too long.

“We got her up eventually and put her in a chair because she was on the floor, and that wasn’t good enough. She was uncomfortable and in pain.

“When it did arrive they (paramedics) were excellent, but they said they had only got the call (from the ambulance control centre) at 8.50pm.

“She was checked over and they weren’t sure why she collapsed. She didn’t go to hospital but waiting almost three and a half hours is disgusting.”

Mr Sillis is now considering making an official complaint.

Glennis Walker, a manager at the Chatsworth Avenue care home, added: “It’s a long time, especially when it is a head injury because it could potentially be very serious.

“Mr Sillis was getting very upset and very anxious. They wanted to take her to hospital and she refused to go, but three hours is a long time.

“Sometimes the paramedics can be here very quickly. It isn’t negative all the time.”

A spokesman for the North West Ambulance said: “We understand that waiting for an ambulance can be distressing for the patient and their family and we are sorry that Mr Sillis not happy with the service his wife received.

“When received, all 999 calls are categorised within the control rooms, based on the information given by the caller, to ensure patients are prioritised on the basis of their medical need.

“Although the Service strives to attend to every patient as quickly as possible, periods of high activity can cause delays for some.

“We haven’t received a complaint from the patient or their family but we would urge them to contact us directly to discuss their concerns.”