Warning after fire drama

Flat fire: Fire crews were called to late night blaze at a property in Raikes Parade, Blackpool, on Sunday
Flat fire: Fire crews were called to late night blaze at a property in Raikes Parade, Blackpool, on Sunday
Have your say

Firefighters have issued a warning to residents after a suspected arson attack at a town centre flat led to two people being arrested.

Fire crews from two stations were called to the incident around 11.50pm on Sunday in Raikes Parade, Blackpool.

Two men aged 29 and 31 were arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life.

The fire followed an incident on Friday when residents were left trapped inside their homes after yobs torched a pile of rubbish in Laycock Gate, Layton.

Today watch manager Mark Winder, of Blackpool Fire Station, urged homeowners to remain vigilant.

He added: “It is important if people see an incident happening, they call 999 straight away.

“When we arrived at the address smoke was exiting the property and we were unable to establish if anyone was missing.

“Fortunately the fire alarm was activated and the property had been evacuated.

“Initially four firefighters entered the property but we had to increase this to six. We brought the fire under control after 20 minutes.

“The cause is still to be determined, but an investigation has been launched with police contacted.”

Fire crews from Blackpool and South Shore were at the address for more than two hours.

Two people were taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

The incident followed Gazette reports earlier this year which showed deliberate fires remain a major concern for fire chiefs.

Close to 500 fires were started deliberately on the Fylde coast in 2013, with more than 80 classed as serious fires – 60 in Blackpool.

Det Sgt Kathryn Riley, of Blackpool CID, added: “We are still in the early stages of the investigation but we have two people in custody.

“The fire was started inside a house of multiple occupation.

“It was fully occupied at the time and some of the occupants had to be evacuated and moved out.”

A spokesman for Lancashire police confirmed a 29-year-old man of no fixed address and a 31-year-old man from Blackpool were arrested and are currently in custody.