Warning after candle starts Blackpool house fire

Blackpool firefighters are warning about the dangers of candles after a house fire in the resort.
Blackpool firefighters are warning about the dangers of candles after a house fire in the resort.
0
Have your say

Blackpool firefighters have issued a warning about the danger of using candles after a fire at a house.

Crews from Blackpool were called to a house on Granville Road at 10pm on Sunday.

When firefighters arrived, they found that a candle on the mantelpiece in the living room had set fire to surrounding materials and the fire spread up the wallpaper.

A woman in the house with her two young sons discovered the danger when she entered the living room. She ran to the kitchen to get a bowl of water and threw it on the fire before getting out of the house with her sons.

She went next door to raise the alarm and one neighbour threw more water on the fire while the other called 999.

A spokesman said: “Candles should be fitted in a candle holder, placed on a non-flammable surface away from flammable materials such as clothing and should never be left burning unattended.”

He added that they should not be place on the floor or on windowsills and away from pets and children.