VIDEO: Tragic final minutes of tot’s life

Share this article
Have your say

The best friend of a mother accused of her child’s manslaughter has described the harrowing moments they were told the two-year-old had died.

Suzie Mason was at the bedside of little Sophie Jones in Blackpool Victoria Hospital when doctors told the mum-of-three her daughter could not be saved. This comes as the investigation into the toddler’s death enters its third day as detectives continue to quiz a 29-year-old woman and 41-year-old man.

Sophie Jones died aged 2 at Jameson Street, Blackpool

Sophie Jones died aged 2 at Jameson Street, Blackpool

Miss Mason, 20, a close friend of Sophie’s mum, was with the toddler when she was taken to hospital after the distraught mum went to her for help.

She said: “I was there when they said she was dead.”

She added:“I went to hospital and was there when they said Sophie was dead.

“She was screaming and I had to hold on to her to stop her from falling on the floor.

“I was crying all day yesterday and because of this I keep seeing the image of her lying in the hospital bed.”

Sophie was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital by paramedics after suffering a suspected heart attack at 11.45pm on Tuesday.

Despite the efforts of medics, the youngster died a short time later.

A post mortem examination was carried out yesterday but the cause of Sophie’s death has not yet been determined.

Toxicology tests will now be carried out.

Detectives investigating Sophie’s death would not be drawn on claims her death was drug related but said “they would not be ruling anything out”.

Det Supt Paul Withers, of the Force Major Investigations Team, said: “I’m exploring all options about how Sophie lost her life but I’m not ruling anything out at this moment.

“There are many possibilities, all of which I will explore.”

Officers were granted a further 36 hours in which to question the 29-year-old mother-of-three arrested in connection with the two-year-old’s death.

At a separate hearing before District Judge Andrew Jebb at Blackpool Magistrates Court police were also granted an extra 36 hours to question the 41-year-old man, thought to be Sophie’s dad.

A 60-year-old man and a 65-year-old woman arrested on Tuesday were yesterday released without charge.