Vicious yob who stabbed ex is put behind bars

Burnley Crown Court.
Burnley Crown Court.
Share this article
Have your say

A “ paranoid” thug who viciously attacked his ex-partner - setting off a fire extinguisher on her - has been jailed for more than two years.

Allan McQuillan, 31, who started taking drugs when he was 11 and has a long record of violence, subjected his then partner to a “sustained and repeated” assault after his anti-psychotic medication was stopped by his doctor.

Allan McQuillan

Allan McQuillan

He had been taking it for seven years.

His victim, who he had met the day he was given a suspended jail term just weeks before, was left with a gashed thigh, covered in bruises, distraught and needing counselling.

McQuillan had been arrested after he opened the front door to his flat and ordered his victim to leave.

She went to a telephone box, where she rang the police in tears.

The defendant’s previous convictions include wounding with intent, wounding, assault, affray, racially aggravated assault, threatening behaviour and possessing a blade.

In May 2003, he was sent to detention for four years after an attack on a defenceless deaf man in Bispham Rock Gardens, which left his victim in a coma for a month.

In 2008, he was locked up for 13 months, with two years’ extended licence, for biting off part of a friend’s ear.

McQuillan is now serving another stretch behind bars after he was jailed for two years and eight weeks after the latest incident.

The defendant, of Windsor Avenue, South Shore, had admitted assault causing actual bodily harm and damage, committed last July.

Judge Jonathan Gibson, sitting at Burnley Crown Court, imposed two years for the ABH and also activated an eight-week suspended sentence, which had been imposed for 24 months in May last year.

McQuillan was given an indefinite restraining order to keep him away from his victim.

Roger Baldwin, prosecuting, told the latest hearing that last July 29, at about 6pm, police received a call from the victim, who is in her 20s and then lived in Blackpool.

Officers went to the phone box in Bond Street and found her crying. She was taken to Blackpool South Police Station. Her arms were badly bruised and when she pulled down her jeans, further bruises were revealed, as well as a two-inch cut, which she said had been caused by a butter knife.

Mr Baldwin said the victim was video interviewed on July 30 and said she had known McQuillan for about six weeks and that at first everything had been fine.

She said things then deteriorated and in the four days before she made her complaint, when she had been staying at the defendant’s flat, he had seriously assaulted her and accused her of being with somebody else.

She said McQuillan had dug a butter knife into her thigh through her jeans, accused her of cutting herself and discharged a fire extinguisher at her.

The victim told officers that in the early hours he told her to leave, followed her, punched her arms and head and told her to go back in a couple of hours for her stuff.

When she later returned to the flat for her clothing, after calling the police, she found McQuillan had poured bleach on her clothes and cut her underwear in half.

He had earlier hurled some of her clothes into the back yard.

Mr Baldwin said the defendant was arrested and questioned on July 30. He claimed his victim had admitted taking amphetamine.

Mr Baldwin said the victim had now moved away and was receiving counselling.

McQuillan had 26 offences on his record.

Kimberley Obrusik, for McQuillan, said : “He is described as being paranoid. That is a symptom he suffers from and has suffered from since he was taken off his anti-psychotic medication in February 2014.”

She said the defendant was able to live a crime-free lifestyle for seven years while on the medication. He had gone back on it in March while on remand. McQuillan had served almost 10 months.

Miss Obrusik added: “He says he feels a million times better now. He describes feeling like a different person and describes a clarity in relation to what he was like last year. He’s sorry and shocked at himself.”

Passing sentence, Judge Gibson said the victim’s injuries were graphically depicted in photographs.

He told the defendant: “This was a sustained attack.”