UPDATED: New date revealed for Queens Park flats demolition
A date has been set for the three remaining tower blocks in Layton to be demolished.
Elizabeth Court, Churchill Court and Walter Robinson Court were due to be brought down by an explosive demolition on Sunday May 15.
However, more time was needed to ensure the safe demolition of the blocks so it was delayed and it will now take place on Sunday July 31 between 10am and 11am.
Forshaws Demolition, which will be carrying out the explosion, has written to residents who live in the ‘exclusion zone’ around the three blocks to inform they will need to evacuated during the operation to nearby support centres.
If all goes to plan, it is hoped the exclusion zone will be lifted by 12.30pm on the day.
A spokesman said: “We will begin contacting all residents within the exclusion zone from Monday July 4 to confirm the detailed arrangements for the demolition day and answer directly any specific concerns or questions.
“We understand that this is an inconvenience and we will make every effort to assist and support you before, during and after the demolition.
“With your support and cooperation we can ensure the whole event is successful and completed in the minimum time and with least disruption on the demolition day.”
A drop-in event has been arranged for Thursday July 14 from 1pm-6pm on Lidl car park.
A spokesman for Blackpool Council said it had been involved in lengthy discussions with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) since the original date was postponed.
It came after demolition crews working on bringing down towers in Seaforth, Liverpool were left red-faced in April when the operation partially failed, and they were forced to remove one of the towers piece by piece, with some residents having to be put up in hotels for more than 10 days.