UPDATED: Dogs treated after Marton house fire

Stock image
Stock image
Share this article

Two dogs had to be given oxygen after a house fire in Marton earlier.

Three fire engines and crews - two from St Annes and one from South Shore - were called to Southbank Avenue after smoke was seen pouring out a kitchen window shortly after 2pm.

Firefighters wearing breathing masks got into the property before rescuing the dogs, a Staffordshire bull terrier and Labrador, and tackling a blaze involving a tumble dryer.

Nobody else was injured.

Although the fire did not spread beyond the kitchen because the door was shut, smoke alarms fitted inside the house did not work, and the ground floor was heavily smoke logged, acting crew manager at South Shore Fire Station, Wayne Love, said.

He added: "It took firefighters approximately 30 mins to bring the fire under control. The tumble dryer was turned on and the occupants left the property. When they returned, smoke could be seen issuing from the kitchen window."

Just yesterday, the fire service warned residents not to leave their washing machines and tumble dryers on when nobody is home, following an fire elsewhere in the county.

Mr Love said they should also be switched off when homeowners go to bed.