A fire at a Fleetwood warehouse containing 3,000 tonnes of plastic waste will be left to burn out over several days.
The fire broke out at a building on Jameson Street in Fleetwood at around 6.40pm yesterday, shortly after youths were spotted at the scene.
Fire engines from Fleetwood, Blackpool, Bispham, Wesham, St Annes, and South Shore were called to the scene, along with a high-volume pump from Burnley, an aerial ladder platform from Accrington, and an incident command unit from Fulwood.
Firefighters took the decision to allow the fire to smoulder throughout the night after concerns were raised about the safety of the surrounding environment.
A member of staff at Fleetwood fire station has now confirmed that the first will be left to burn in a controlled state for several days.
A Lancashire fire service spokesman said: “If they had directed water onto the fire rather than to prevent it from spreading to the bales stored elsewhere on the site, the fire would have put out much more smoke and it would have added to the volume of water, contaminated by the fire, to prevent from draining away off site.
“The plastic bales are actually used for fuel and burn cleanly in furnaces, though less so in this setting.”
On social media, Preston Fire Sation announced: “Preston Fire Station Multi Agency will be meeting at 07.30 to discuss tactics with least environmental impact.”
Two fire engines and crews have remained on the site to monitor the controlled fire, which is emitting ‘a thin plume of smoke’.
Residents have been asked to avoid the area and keep their doors and windows closed.