Up, up and away: Take off on a trip through Blackpool aviation history

Thousands of sightseers at the Empire Air Display at Stanley Park Airport in May 1938
Thousands of sightseers at the Empire Air Display at Stanley Park Airport in May 1938

This week in pictures we swoop in on the old Blackpool Aerodrome.

Located where Blackpool Zoo is now, the old aerodrome was used for civil and military flying from 1929 until the airfield closed in 1947.

Aerodrome Amphibian plane at Stanley Park Airport 1930s

Aerodrome Amphibian plane at Stanley Park Airport 1930s

Our archive pictures show what it used to look like back in the day and there is even a shot of famous aviation pioneer Amelia Earhart visiting the Stanley Park Aerodrome, in 1932.

Stanley Park Aerodrome in 1931

Stanley Park Aerodrome in 1931

Travelling floodlit apparatus was installed at Blackpool Aerodrome for night flying, in 1938

Travelling floodlit apparatus was installed at Blackpool Aerodrome for night flying, in 1938

Stanley Park airfield hangar in 1938 - the clubhouse in the background still exists as part of Blackpool Zoo.

Stanley Park airfield hangar in 1938 - the clubhouse in the background still exists as part of Blackpool Zoo.

Amelia Earhart at Stanley Park Aerodrome, Blackpool, in 1932

Amelia Earhart at Stanley Park Aerodrome, Blackpool, in 1932