Two men hurt and main Poulton road hit by delays as garden waste fire accidentally spreads to shed and hedge

Unions have warned of the impact on communities
Unions have warned of the impact on communities
Share this article
Have your say

Two men were treated by paramedics after a garden shed and hedge accidentally caught on fire, officials said.

Emergency services were called to Breck Road in Poulton at around 4.10pm yesterday, with firefighters from Blackpool putting out the flames with a single water jet, a fire service spokesman said yesterday.

“Two men were slightly injured as a result of breathing smoke and they were given precautionary checks by paramedics,” a statement read.

A resident had been burning garden waste in a bin, which was left too close to the shed and hedge, the spokesman added.

Breck Road, a mainly narrow, arterial route, was partially closed, leading to traffic delays. Blackpool Transport said its rail replacement service, and its 2C bus service, ran late as a result of the fire.