Trio jailed for more than 20 years

Antonio Wheeler.
Antonio Wheeler.
Share this article
Have your say

A COUPLE have been jailed for torturing a man who had conducted an affair with the woman, a court heard.

Antonio Wheeler and Mark Brown kept their victim hostage for four hours, repeatedly assaulting him after Wheeler discovered his girlfriend Suzanne Ashe had been having a relationship with him.

Suzanne Ashe

Suzanne Ashe

Liverpool Crown Court heard 22-year-old Ashe had set up the victim for the attack and was present while her partner and his friend punched and kicked him in his own home.

Jailing the trio for more than 21 years, Judge Gerald Clifton said Wheeler decided he had to be punished after learning of the affair, even though Ashe had willingly participated.

The attack in the victim’s home in Osborne Road, South Shore, took place on May 23 this year, and began with Wheeler attacking the victim after Ashe enticed him to come out for a drink.

Wheeler, who was waiting outside, then kicked and punched him and attacked him with a bottle, back in the house.

Mark Brown

Mark Brown

Andrew Smith, prosecuting, said vinegar was poured into his wounds and the bottle then smashed over his head.

An attempt was made to suffocate him and strangle him and threats to kill him were made.

During the four-hour incident Ashe tricked Brown into coming to provide more muscle by telling him she had been attacked.

The victim suffered a broken jaw and left hand as well as multiple bruises, particularly to his face and head, cuts to his eyebrows and an injured right eye.

Judge Clifton jailed Wheeler, 22, of Osborne Road, South Shore, for nine years and nine months.

Brown, 24, of Charles Street, Blackpool, was given six years and eight months while Ashe, a mum-of-two who had been living with Wheeler, received five years.

He told Wheeler it involved “gratuitous degradation” under the influence of alcohol on a man, who is still suffering on-going effects of the attack.

Wheeler and Brown both admitted wounding with intent and Ashe admitted aiding and abetting.

The court heard all three had previous convictions and were in breach of suspended sentences at the time of the incident.

Defence counsel said the defendants had all admitted their roles and were remorseful.