Tributes to wife killed in holiday fall

Ben and Kay Flitcroft
Ben and Kay Flitcroft
Have your say

The distraught husband of a Blackpool woman who died after falling 30ft from a wall on a Mediterranean holiday island today told how he has lost his “absolute soulmate”.

Kay Flitcroft, 30, died in hospital after she fell from the wall on the Spanish isle of Menorca, where she had been holidaying with her parents and husband Ben.

Speaking to The Gazette from the resort of Cala En Porter, where they had been staying, Mr Flitcroft, 34, today relived the moment he discovered paramedics with his wife after she failed to come home from a night out.

The couple had watched the England v Peru football match together on Friday night and Mr Flitcroft said: “We were having good times – eating, drinking and having fun as we always did.

“We were with friends we’d met over there in previous years.

“I’d had enough so she said the same thing she always said, ‘You don’t mind if I stay out for a bit do you?’

“That was the last time I saw her, she didn’t come home.”

Mr Flitcroft, from Fenber Avenue, South Shore, who had left his wife following the end of the match, added: “I woke up at seven o’clock in the morning and she wasn’t there, so I rang round a few people here and no one had seen sight of her since the night before.

“I heard an ambulance outside so I ran to where it was, and there she was.

“My world ended.”

Mrs Flitcroft was taken by ambulance to a hospital on the island, where she was accompanied by Mr Flitcroft and her parents Roger, 63, and Sue Isherwood, 61.

She was later transferred by air ambulance to Palma de Mallorca, on the neighbouring island of Mallorca.

But doctors were unable to save her and Mr Flitcroft received a call at 8.30am on Sunday morning to inform them she had died at 11.30pm the previous night.

Mrs Flitcroft was born and raised in Blackpool, attending Arnold School where she excelled at hockey, before studying at Liverpool Hope University.

She then worked as an English teacher in South Korea, where the couple met after Mr Flitcroft saw a photograph of her on Facebook. Mr Flitcroft played football with her brother, Michael, and met her for the first time on a night out after she returned to the resort after her year abroad.

He said: “We just basically hit it off from there.

“She was the life and soul of the party. She never wanted to miss anything and always wanted to be the last to leave.”

The couple married at the White Church, in St Annes, on July 30, 2011, and Mrs Flitcroft worked as a manager at William Hill bookmakers on Ansdell Road, South Shore.

Paying tribute to her, Mr Flitcroft said: “All the customers loved her and the staff loved her. She loved her friends and she’s got hundreds of friends.

“People have been absolutely fantastic and she was one hell of a person. We were brilliant together and we were soulmates. She was such a good person and she was my best friend in the whole world.”

Mr and Mrs Isherwood had been living on the island for the past six months after retiring from running Isherwoods Newsagents, on Highfield Road, South Shore.

However, Mr Flitcroft says they will now return to live in England in light of the tragedy.

The family flew back into Liverpool last night, but Spanish police say it could take up to four weeks before Mrs Flitcroft’s body is returned, pending investigations into what is thought to have been a tragic accident.

Louise Gamble, 30, from Elaine Avenue, Marton, had been Mrs Flitcroft’s best friend for 20 years. She said: “It is just devastating and I’m shocked. She was funny, outgoing and loved life.”

A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: “We are aware of reports and are investigating.”