Tributes to mum who battled injury

TRAGIC LOSS: Moira Roberts
TRAGIC LOSS: Moira Roberts
Share this article
Have your say

A HEARTBROKEN daughter has paid tribute to a woman who “loved the Fylde coast” but tragically lost her life after a horror crash on one of the area’s roads.

Moira Roberts was today described as a mother who would be “sadly missed” by everyone who knew her.

Police officers at scene of the accident which claimed her life

Police officers at scene of the accident which claimed her life

The 75-year-old was a passenger in a Vauxhall Agila being driven by her husband John when it collided with a HGV at Singleton’s Windy harbour crossroads.

The pensioner, who lived on Riverside Drive, Hambleton, bravely fought for life for two weeks following the terrifying collision but sadly died on Saturday evening through complications relating to her injuries.

And now Mrs Roberts’ daughter, Ursula Hurst has paid tribute to her mum, who only moved to the Fylde coast following her retirement 10 years ago having spent many happy holidays in the area.

Before that she lived in Wigan where she worked at an older people’s supported housing scheme for 12 years.

Mrs Hurst said: “Mum always loved the Fylde area and had a caravan at the Cala Gran site (near Cleveleys) for some years where she enjoyed many happy holidays and she always hoped to settle permanently in the area.

“She had worked at a supported housing scheme for older people in Wigan since 1989 and on her retirement in 2001 she moved to Hambleton where she took great pleasure in her garden.

“She will be sadly missed by all her family and friends.”

Neighbours in Hambleton described the couple as “quiet but friendly” and said they had grown concerned about their whereabouts after they failed to return home on the day of the accident.

Mrs Roberts was being treated for her injuries in Blackpool Victoria Hospital when she passed away.

The crash happened on Fleetwood Road at the traffic lights at the busy junction with Garstang Road at around 2.20pm on Thursday, July 21.

Police described the crash as “serious” at the time of the incident and the busy commuter route was closed while firefighters cut both Mr and Mrs Roberts free from their vehicle.

Mr Roberts remains in Blackpool Victoria Hospital where he is being treated for his injuries.