Free spirit tribute to tragic daughter

Police at the scene of the accident and (below) Lydia Taylor-Harrison who was thrown off the back of her boyfriend's motorbike.
Police at the scene of the accident and (below) Lydia Taylor-Harrison who was thrown off the back of her boyfriend's motorbike.
Share this article
Have your say

THE mother of a tragic teenager who was killed in a motorbike collision said she died “doing what she loved with the boy she loved”.

Lydia Taylor-Harrison, 18, died of multiple injuries when she was thrown from the back of her boyfriend’s Honda Firestorm in August last year.

Lydia Taylor-Harrison

Lydia Taylor-Harrison

Lydia, from Stalmine, and her boyfriend Henry Rainford, 21, had been restoring a dinghy together and were returning home down Rawcliffe Road, St Michaels, when the bike they were travelling on collided with a Nissan Micra, driven by Pamela Oakes.

Mrs Oakes was pulling out of a concealed entrance to Rawcliffe Hall country club and caravan park when the motorbike appeared in her line of vision. The two vehicles collided and Lydia and Henry were thrown into the road.

At an inquest into Lydia’s death at Preston Coroner’s Court, Mr Rainford, an experienced motorcyclist, said: “After the accident all I can basically remember is waking up in the ambulance.

“It is like if you get a film reel and cut segments out and splice it back up. It’s like bits and bats but I can’t piece it all together.”

Mrs Oakes sobbed as she told the court she heard the impact and thought her car was on fire. She and her husband got out of the car where they saw the motorbike lying on it’s side and the two bikers lying unconscious in the road.

Mrs Oakes called emergency services and waited at the scene until they arrived.

Lydia was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital where she died of multiple injuries in the early hours of August 31.

Deputy coroner Simon Jones recorded a verdict of accidental death, saying: “I believe there was little either could do to prevent a collision.”

Visibility was limited due to a hedge which could not be trimmed in the months leading up to the collision.

Since the accident Lancashire County Council has installed signage in Rawcliffe Road to mark the concealed entrance to the caravan park.

Paying tribute to her daughter, Lisa said: “She was a free spirit.

“A lot of people have said they could never imagine her growing old.

“She was vibrant, headstrong and full of life. She was loved by many.”

A memorial bench will be unveiled at Knott End Cafe on March 19 – Lydia’s 19th birthday.