Transport yourself back in time to see a Blackpool no longer visible today

Travel back in time to the centre of Blackpool with our black-and-white archive photos.

Friday, 26th January 2018, 10:16 am
Updated Friday, 26th January 2018, 12:25 pm
Birley Street, Blackpool, around the 1930s

From the beach to the iconic tower, these areas are easily identifiable, although some past sights are now missing.

The Great Wheel, pictured next to the Tower (below), was a wonder of the Victorian Age. Built in 1896, at the south west corner of the Winter Gardens, it became a major attraction in the resort. But the cumbersome London Eye of its time grew too old and too slow. It was dismantled in 1928.

Also no longer in existence, Blackpool Central Station is pictured here.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

This view down Adelaide Street shows Blackpool Tower and The Great Wheel before demolition began in 1928

Originally named Hounds Hill Station when it opened in 1863, Central Station was closed in 1964. Part of the building was used as a bingo hall until the 70s when it was demolished.

Other than the cars, Birley Street from the 1930s, shown here, doesn’t look hugely different from today.

Market Street, pictured from Talbot Square, also looks recognisable. Not much has changed other than the shop frontages, over the years.

Aerial shot of the railway sidings attached to Blackpool Central Station. Coop Street on the right runs almost parallel with the railway lines. The Majestic Ballroom with three distinctive gable ends and light coloured roof is in Bathesda Road. Kent Road dog-legs in the bottom left to centre left, Central Drive runs from centre left to top right passing the open ground at Revoe on the left.
Crowds of holidaymakers on the beach at Blackpool in the 1950s
Market Street From Talbot Square. The Clifton Hotel is on the right and beyond the cyclist (with what appears to be a plank across his back ) there is a stall on the corner of the old St John's Market. On the left is the Williams Deacons Bank which is now part of the Town Hall.
This view down Adelaide Street shows Blackpool Tower and The Great Wheel before demolition began in 1928
Aerial shot of the railway sidings attached to Blackpool Central Station. Coop Street on the right runs almost parallel with the railway lines. The Majestic Ballroom with three distinctive gable ends and light coloured roof is in Bathesda Road. Kent Road dog-legs in the bottom left to centre left, Central Drive runs from centre left to top right passing the open ground at Revoe on the left.
Crowds of holidaymakers on the beach at Blackpool in the 1950s
Market Street From Talbot Square. The Clifton Hotel is on the right and beyond the cyclist (with what appears to be a plank across his back ) there is a stall on the corner of the old St John's Market. On the left is the Williams Deacons Bank which is now part of the Town Hall.