Tragic gran’s joy bringing up boys

Gail Weedy with grandsons Tamer (left) and Marley.
Gail Weedy with grandsons Tamer (left) and Marley.
Have your say

A MOTHER who has suffered a year of heartache following the brutal murder of her son has gained some comfort from knowing she can now bring up his children.

Andreas Fantousi, 30, was brutally stabbed to death in a shocking street attack – leaving his two sons, Marley and Tamer, without their loving father in their lives.

Andreas Fantousi - stabbed to death on November 22, 2010

Andreas Fantousi - stabbed to death on November 22, 2010

Now Gail and Len Weedy, have vowed to bring their grandchildren up in Mr Fantousi’s memory after a family court agreed to grant them custody.

Mrs Weedy, of Meanwood Avenue, Marton, said: “We’ve got custody until they are 18.

“It’s wonderful. I was ecstatic. They are both fabulous.

“It was the anniversary of Andreas’ death this week – it helps having them here. I see Andreas in them.”

Four-year-old Marley attends Hawes Side Primary School while two-year-old Tamer goes to the school’s nursery.

Mrs Weedy, 52, added: “It’s a lovely school and they are really thriving.

“They are both beautiful. Marley lost his first tooth on Saturday. He goes to tae kwondo lessons and he loves it.

“Tamer is only two and a half – he is coming on in his own little way.”

Mrs Weedy said the last few months were difficult as they had to cope with a three-week murder trial at Stafford Crown Court.

Mr Fantousi had confronted a group of people on his street in Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, after they bad-mouthed his girlfriend following a row over a cigarette.

A court heard how the gang turned on the former St George’s High School pupil on November 22 last year, punching the young dad to the ground and kicking him.

He was then stabbed in the neck.

Sheree Smith, 19, from Tunstall, was convicted of murder and must serve a minimum of 18 years in prison.

Her boyfriend, 22-year-old Michael Gordon, has been locked up for 10 years for manslaughter.

Ricky Gregory, 23, is due to re-appear in court in December after the jury failed to reach a verdict on a murder charge.

The family’s upset has been compounded by a series of misdialled calls which they receive daily – and they are urging people to take care when making a call.

Mrs Weedy said: “We’ve got a similar number to Glenroyd Medical Centre, it’s only one digit different.

“We get calls 24 hours a day.

“I can’t have all these people phoning all the time when I’m trying to grieve for my son.”