Tragic biker lost control

The scene outside the Lyndene Hotel on Blackpool promenade
The scene outside the Lyndene Hotel on Blackpool promenade
Share this article
Have your say

A MOTORCYCLIST died of multiple injuries after losing control of his bike on Blackpool Promenade, an inquest was told.

Paul Cross, 23, of Briar Mews, Thornton, came off his Suzuki and slid into the path of an oncoming taxi.

Efforts to save his life failed, and he was pronounced dead at Blackpool Victoria Hospital shortly after the accident outside the Lyndene Hotel, at 10.30pm on August 18 last year.

Mr Cross was on his way home from his job at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and had only bought the bike three weeks previously.

Witnesses said they saw Mr Cross battling to retain control of his bike as it crossed a road hump as he travelled northbound along South Promenade.

As he slid across the carriageway, one taxi managed to mount the pavement and avoid him, but he collided with a second cab travelling behind.

Robert Adams, who was driving the second taxi, said; “I saw the motorcyclist going over the road bump.

“As he came over, he lost control, wobbled and then he was on the floor.

“He spun twice, still holding the handlebars and then began to skid.

“The taxi in front of me came off the road to try and avoid the biker and I tried to do the same thing.”

The inquest heard Mr Adams’ taxi had been almost stationary and no blame was attached to him.

Police investigators said evidence suggested Mr Cross had been travelling at between 48mph and 62mph at the time he lost control, and had slid about 78 metres into the path of the taxi.

The speed hump was under construction at the time of the accident but although there were no warning signs, visibility was good and the road was well lit.

PC Adrian Harrison, of Lancashire Police accident investigation team, said: “The only issue was the signage to the roadworks but the road layout is bright and well lit so there were good advance warnings even as the crossing was being constructed.”

Blackpool’s assistant coroner Christopher Beverley recorded a verdict of accidental death.

He said; “I suspect a clear road, a brightly lit Promenade and with his splendid new motorcyle Paul momentarily forgot the hazards in front of him with tragic consequences.”