Police reveal cause of Cleveleys house fire that claimed life of 19-year-old

Police have revealed the cause of the Cleveleys house fire that claimed the life of a 19-year-old man.

Sunday, 3rd June 2018, 11:31 pm
Updated Monday, 4th June 2018, 10:27 am
Flowers were left outside the home yesterday
Flowers were left outside the home yesterday

Saturday's tragedy, in which Ryan McHenry died, was caused by a faulty fridge freezer and was not suspicious, a police spokeswoman said.

A joint investigation was launched with the fire service after Mr Henry was rescued from his Beach Avenue home shortly after 3pm on Saturday.

Police involvement is now understood to be over, though experts from the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service continue to investigate. A spokesman this morning confirmed a refrigerator is believed to have sparked the fierce fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Flowers were left outside the home yesterday

Neighbours desperately tried to free Mr McHenry, before six firefighters wearing breathing masks and oxygen tanks entered the end-terrace house and brought him outside.

Paramedics gave him CPR, but he was pronounced dead shortly after, police said.

A ladder, believed to have been used by the brave neighbours, was still leaning against an upstairs window yesterday morning, when residents in the street spoke of their shock.

Flowers were left in front of the badly damaged home as investigators carried out their work inside.

Read More

Read More
Specialist investigators expected at fire-hit house as tributes are paid to man ...

A friend of Mr McHenry’s said: “He was one of my best mates. I have known him for years.”

A neighbour added: “I can’t believe something like this has happened. I have never seen anything like it on this street.”

Surrounding streets were taped off as four fire engines - two from Blackpool and one each from Bispham and Fleetwood - were called to the scene.

Crews were met by a 'substantial' blaze and were set to be offered counselling.

An air ambulance helicopter also landed on the bowling green at the Park Club in West Drive. Nobody at the North West Ambulance Service could be reached for a comment.

There were reports of loud bangs at the home, but they were being treated as ‘incidental’, one fire official said.