OAP 'very poorly' after accidentally setting herself on fire

An elderly woman suffered serious injuries after accidentally setting her clothes on fire with a cigarette, it is believed.

Friday, 21st April 2017, 9:34 am
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 8:31 pm
The air ambulance was helped out to help move the woman
The air ambulance was helped out to help move the woman

The pensioner was airlifted to Wythenshawe Hospital, which has a serious burns unit, at 6.30pm yesterday after paramedics were called to Hammerton Place on Grange Park.

She was in a 'very poorly' condition, though conscious, a spokesman for the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said.

An investigation is now underway to determine the full facts of what happened.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The air ambulance was helped out to help move the woman

A spokeswoman for the North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) said a 999 call was made at 5.34pm.

Paramedics arrived 16 minutes later at 5.50pm, and a helicopter from the North West Air Ambulance Service was called out around 20 minutes later.

Fire crews - two from Blackpool and one from Bispham - were called out at 5.45pm but found there was no fire to put out, though they did help medics.

More to follow

The air ambulance was helped out to help move the woman