M55 reopen after horror fall from motorway bridge

The M55 is fully open after a 68-year-old man from Preston fell from a motorway bridge on the M55 earlier this morning.

Friday, 8th September 2017, 12:29 pm
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 1:13 pm
An edited picture taken at the scene of the accident shows emergency service vehicles in lane one, and on the hard shoulder

Drivers were told to 'avoid the area and take alternative routes' after accident investigators were called to the eastbound carriageway, close to junction three at Kirkham, at around 9.40am.

Lane one was blocked following the incident, with lanes two and three still open. Motorway police officers described traffic was 'very heavy'.

A 'full road closure will be implemented shortly', the force initially said in a statement, though that was ultimately not the case.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Four rapid response vehicles carrying paramedics, an ambulance, and a helicopter from the North West Air Ambulance Service were called to the scene.

The air ambulance later took off without the man on board, a spokeswoman said.

Police had expected the motorway to be fully reopen by around 1.10pm.

An edited picture taken at the scene of the accident shows emergency service vehicles in lane one, and on the hard shoulder
An edited picture taken at the scene of the accident shows emergency service vehicles in lane one, and on the hard shoulder