Fire breaks out on Blackpool's historic South Pier
Firefighters were called to Blackpool's historic South Pier after rubbish at the back of a ride set alight.
Two crews and engines from Forest Gate and one from South Shore were called out at around 6pm yesterday.
The fire was out by the time they arrived, a spokeswoman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service (LFRS) said, and they left 10 minutes later.
“It wasn’t quite obvious what it was on arrival, but it looked to be one of the rides,” she said.
“It was out by the time we got there, so we just did some investigations and left.”
Peter Sedgwick, who owns all three of Blackpool’s piers, said a discarded cigarette, as well as the hot weather, caused the rubbish – from one of the rides – to catch fire.
He said: “We had it out within minutes. We put a fire extinguisher on it and carted the rubbish off the pier.
“It was a bit upsetting really because it was nice and busy.”
A nearby ride – Miami – was evacuated briefly, but the pier itself was not, Mr Sedgwick added.
One witness said he saw the ‘flames break out at the end of the pier’.