TOWER: Fire service releases update after crews remain at landmark overnight

Firefighters remained at the scene overnight (Picture: Lytham Fire Station/Twitter)
Firefighters remained at the scene overnight (Picture: Lytham Fire Station/Twitter)
Share this article
Have your say

Fire chiefs have released an update in their investigation into the fire at Blackpool Tower.

Two station officers were set to carry out a final inspection at the iconic attraction this morning, a spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said.

They were due to officially end the fire service's involvement in the drama, which started at around 12.40pm yesterday and left around a dozen people stuck at the top of the Tower.

They are confident they know the cause of the accidental fire -- workers carrying out repairs to a roof. It was being done, it is understood, on the sixth floor 85 feet up following recent strong winds.

"There had been some hot work taking place," spokesman John Taylor said.

"The fire spread to a roof void and caused rooms and compartments inside to become smoke logged."

The roof and void - the space between the roof and the ceiling below - suffered some fire damage before firefighters used water jets to put out the fire.


Is Blackpool Tower open today?

Investigation begins after fire leaves dozen people stuck at top of Tower

At its peak, there were six crews on the scene, with surrounding roads closed and a huge crowd gathering.

Some shops in Bank Hey Street, including HMV, were forced to evacuate and close early as police shut the road.

"This morning, two station managers will go to look again to look at it [the Tower], with the prospect of saying the job is finished and hand over to the owners of the building," Mr Taylor said.

Firefighters from Lytham remained at the Tower overnight as a precaution, and were relieved by crews from Blackpool and Fleetwood earlier this morning.

The people stranded at the top, who were later brought down safely, were kept there as a safety measure, Mr Taylor added, as the lift shaft filled with smoke.

Kate Shane from Merlin, which runs the Tower, yesterday said none of the major attractions were damaged.

She pledged a 'full investigation' and said: "The fire was on level five on the south side of the building, nowhere near the Ballroom."