Tip-off led to house raiders

Daniel Wright
Daniel Wright
Share this article
Have your say

A SHARP eyed neighbour’s tip-off to police helped officers catch two men who burgled a family home.

Preston Crown Court heard the resident rang the homeowner with their suspicions who called in the police and Daniel Wright and David Fitzsimmons were detained as they tried to leave the area in a taxi.

It was later discovered they were responsible for a raid at a house on Woodstock Gardens, South Shore, where property and cash was taken.

Kirsten McAteer, prosecuting, said the neighbour phoned the woman who lived at the house on the afternoon of January 25 to say her address had been burgled.

A rear kitchen window had been forced and broken through.

A holdall containing stolen property was later recovered from the back of another address in Woodstock Gardens.

The bag contained a collection of watches, a lap top, wallet, plus controllers for an X Box, DVD and TV.

Some £85 to £90 cash was also missing.

Miss McAteer told the court: “The burglary was drawn to the attention of police by a neighbour who had seen two men outside the address. She noticed a broken window on going behind the house.

“The defendants had been seen walking away, one of them carrying a holdall.”

Thy were then pointed out to the police after going to a local shop and asking someone to call a taxi.

When the taxi arrived, two police constables stopped and detained them as they tried to leave the area. Some £55 cash was recovered from one of them.

Their footprints were found inside the burgled home.

Wright had 74 previous offences on his record and appeared at court as a “three strikes” burglar who faced a minimum prison sentence.

Fitzsimmons had 67 previous offences to his name, including an earlier one for burglary.

Waheed Omran-Baber, defending Wright, said he was thoroughly ashamed of his actions. His client had been doing well on a rehab programme until the shock of his relationship breakdown caused everything to go downhill.

He added: “He says this offence was rather impulsive, rather than drug related. He was without funds at the time.

“He had no money to pay for electricity, no money to feed himself as such.

“He extends his apologies and has genuine remorse.”

Wayne Jackson, for Fitzsimmons, said in the main, his client had managed to steer well clear of court and had been trying to tackle his demons.

It was nearly ten years since he previously committed his first burglary.

In his own words, the defendant described the offence as “despicable, out of order and a very low thing to do”.

Mr Jackson added: “I submit that the court can draw back from sending him into custody.”

Fitzsimmons’ curfew will run from 7pm to 7am each night and will be electronically monitored.

Wright, 34, of no fixed address, was handed a prison term of almost two years and five months.

Fitzsimmons, 38, of Tyldesley Road, Blackpool, was given 12 months jail, suspended for two years, with 12 months supervision, 200 hours unpaid work and a three-month curfew.