The day the ‘bomb’ dropped

Stormy weather: The high wind and rain battered Blackpool landmarks. Intrepid walkers also felt the force of the weather
Stormy weather: The high wind and rain battered Blackpool landmarks. Intrepid walkers also felt the force of the weather
Share this article
Have your say

Winds reaching speeds of up to 60 miles per hour battered the Fylde coast as a “weather bomb” reached the westernshores of Britain.

Severe gales hit the coast reaching high speeds leaving the people and businesses of Blackpool to batten down the hatches. And weather experts say there is more on the way.

The Met Office issued a yellow weather warning for Blackpool for high winds to 6am today, but warned snow and ice is on the way from midnight until 10am on Friday.

The “weather bomb” is caused when a storm increases in size and power as the pressure at its centre drops drastically, causing the storm to blow out of control.

A band of low pressure from the mid-Atlantic will arrive in the early hours of the morning turning rain showers to snow.

Met office spokesman Laura Young said high winds were expected to continue into the weekend with gusts once again rising to 60mph followed by a threat of snow after midnight tonight.

She said: “We have seen strong gusts of wind, wind speeds of 56mph for the North West of England and these will continue. The northern edge of the storm could see snow patches on higher ground, possibly around 10cm in Blackpool and up to 15cm in higher areas.

The Met Office is warning of “hazardous driving conditions” with potential for icy conditions in the rush hour.

Yesterday an update to the warning moved the risk of snow away from the central belt of Scotland and into northern England.

Temperatures are also expected to continue to fall for the rest of the week and throughout the weekend

The AA has advised drivers to pack ‘warm clothes, food, water, boots, a torch and a spade’ when making a car journey when snow is forecast.

Hagop Tchobanian, owner of Beach House bistro, said he was prepared for the worst. In February the seafront venue suffered extensive damage as it was battered by 90mph winds, destroying the building’s frontage and wiping out equipment and furniture.

It finally reopened in August after months of renovation. Mr Tchobanian said: “Last year was freak weather and I really hope we don’t get it again but we’re fully prepared, I’ve got the window specialists in to make sure that everything is tight safe and secure, we learned from last year and made sure that we are prepared for anything that might occur in the future.

“The main issue is that with weather like this people stay away from the promenade and that affects our business, but after such a great summer season you really do have to take the rough with the smooth.”