Smoking warning after blaze

Crew commander Jim Sheridan.
Crew commander Jim Sheridan.
Have your say

STAFF at a Blackpool hairdressers have been warned about smoking next to rubbish after a fire on Whitegate Drive.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at Isis Hair at around 11.30am yesterday, believed to have been sparked by a cigarette butt thrown towards rubbish stored underneath a wooden decked staircase leading the flat upstairs.

Crew commander Jim Sheridan said the rubbish caught fire and spread to the stairs – the only point of entry into the flat above.

He said: “Fortunately the people from the flat upstairs were at work and the fire was caught early on. We were able to put it out before it got out of control.

“Staff from The Flower Shop spotted the smoke, or smelled it, and rang the fire in to us.

“The staircase is still there, but it is damaged needs replacing.”

A store room also suffered damage during the fire.

Crew commander Sheridan, from Forest Gate fire station, said the staff at the salon were advised about disposing of their rubbish in the proper way.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.