Smoke alarm reminder by Blackpool firefighters

Firefighters in Blackpool have reminded householders that they can have smoke alarms fitted free .

Tuesday, 20th November 2018, 7:11 pm
Updated Tuesday, 20th November 2018, 8:24 pm
Lancashire Fire and Rescue
Lancashire Fire and Rescue

It follows an incident at sheltered accommodation in Forest Gate, Blackpool, tonight.

A microwave meal overheated and started smoking, but the occupant was alerted by a smoke alarm before the incident escalated.

Firefighters attended and found the flat was smoke logged but no serious damage.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A spokesman said: "The smoke alarm was fixed, working and did its job.

"It made the resident aware of what was going on before the incident could develop."