POLICE were called to a Blackpool primary school after two pupils – aged just eight – were found with drugs.
Teachers at Stanley Primary in Marton made the shocking discovery after two Year Three boys were seen showing packets of cannabis to their friends.
The boys were reprimanded and letters sent out to stunned parents.
One father, who did not wish to be named, told The Gazette, said: “It’s unbelievable a child of eight could know what a drug is, let alone get hold of some and bring them into school.
“My son was asked if he wanted to sniff the drug in the playground.
“These boys have not been disciplined enough, they should be at least suspended, if not expelled, and I am going to take my kids out of school if they aren’t.”
The two pupils have been handed Youth Referral Orders which means they will be monitored by police.
Headteacher Craig England confirmed: “Two pupils were found on school premises with cannabis.
“Thankfully due to staff being vigilant the substance was immediately removed and the police called.
“Myself and all the staff at the school are completely stunned by this incident, it’s not something that has ever happened at Stanley Primary School before and I hope it’s nothing I will ever have to deal with again.”
It is still unclear how the children got their hands on the drugs.
A spokesman for Blackpool Police said: “We were called by a member of staff from Stanley Primary on March 17.
“Two packets were found, which had been brought in by two children. We could not establish how they had got hold of the drugs as they kept blaming each other.
“The drugs were seized and it turned out it was cannabis. The children in question, who are eight years old, were visited at home and were given Youth Referral Orders.”
Parents today said they were shocked by the incident.
Sheila Norbury, whose daughter Sinead attends the school, said: “I was obviously shocked and very nervous when I received the letter.
“These children are very young, and the letter did not tell us what the substance was.
“However, I feel the school did act quickly, writing to parents and holding an assembly.”
Another parent, who has a daughter at the school, added: “It is utterly disgraceful other children have been introduced to drugs and the boys involved are still at school. The school didn’t even tell us what the substance was in the letter, and we had a right to know.
“Where did they get them from? Are people dealing to them on the street or are parents leaving them around the house?”
A school assembly was held the day after the drugs were discovered, with police briefing pupils on what to do if they are confronted with drugs.
Coun Jim Houldsworth, chairman of the school governors, said: “Nothing is more important than the welfare and safety of our pupils. All parents were written to last week to inform them of the situation and I’d like to thank them for being so supportive and understanding.
“The matter is now in the hands of the police and social services.”
Mr England’s letter to parents stated: “We shall be talking about the dangers of touching any unknown substances and the need to report such substances to an adult.
“I would be very grateful if you would reinforce this message at home.
“I appreciate this will have shocked you, as it did myself and all my staff.
“However, I assure you this is an isolated incident and we should make every effort to make sure this is never repeated.”
In the school’s recent OFSTED inspection, it was deemed a “good” school, but the inspector noted a few parents felt unacceptable behaviour was not dealt with effectively.