Shock after London riots

Riot police look on as fire rages through a building in Tottenham
Riot police look on as fire rages through a building in Tottenham
Have your say

Emergency services have been dealing with disturbances across London as fresh bouts of rioting and looting broke out.

Police officers were being deployed to respond to “copycat criminal activity” across the capital, Scotland Yard said. The fresh violence comes after a protest in Tottenham, north London, on Saturday, which followed the fatal shooting of Mark Duggan, 29, on Thursday.

Disturbances erupted on Sunday in several boroughs in north, south and east London, with reports of trouble in Brixton, Enfield, Walthamstow and Islington.

Three officers were taken to hospital after being hit by a fast-moving vehicle at 12.45am on Monday, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said. The officers had been in the process of making arrests in Chingford Mount, Waltham Forest, after a shop was looted by youths.

Meanwhile, a fight broke out when rival gangs attended King’s College Hospital after two victims of minor stabbings were admitted, police said. The hospital has brought in extra security for the rest of the night and officers remain on scene dealing with the initial stabbings, the spokesman added.

Six fire engines were dispatched to deal with a blaze at a Foot Locker shop in Brixton, south London, and witnesses saw riot police clash with looters at a Currys store nearby.

Press Association photographer Lewis Whyld described the scenes at a Currys store, also in Brixton. He said: “A couple of 100 youths were rioting and looting. Riot police went in to get them out and there was a big fight in the street. Youths were throwing rocks and bottles and there was a bin on fire. They used a fire extinguisher to push the police back so they could get back into Currys and continue taking things out.”

Elsewhere, more than 30 youths, many in masks, vandalised and looted shops in Walthamstow Central, including BHS. “Officers attended the area and the situation is currently under control. Groups of youths are continuing to target shops in Waltham Forest and officers are on scene,” the spokesman said.

Police Commander Christine Jones, said: “Officers responding to sporadic disorder in a number of boroughs made more than 100 arrests throughout last night and early this morning. This is in addition to the 61 arrests made on Saturday night and Sunday morning.”

She went on: “Officers are shocked at the outrageous level of violence directed against them. At least nine officers were injured overnight in addition to the 26 injured on Saturday night. We will not tolerate this disgraceful violence. The investigation continues to bring these criminals to justice.”