‘Sex predator’ targeted mums of youngsters

Blackpool Magistrates' Court
Blackpool Magistrates' Court
Share this article
Have your say

A paedophile was described to a court as a dangerous sexual predator who targeted young mothers.

Michael Terry was said to have groomed two vulnerable mums, one of whom had a three-year-old girl and the other a six-year-old boy.

He had been banned from having contact with children under 16 but he spent days and nights at the home the mothers shared, while their children were there.

Terry, 41, of Newhouse Road, Marton pleaded guilty to two offences of breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO).

Malcolm Isherwood, prosecuting, said Terry was put on a five-year SOPO after being convicted of indecent exposure and inciting a girl under 16 to engage in a sexual act in January this year.

The order banned him from contact with children under 16 and staying at an address overnight where a child under 16 was living.

Between October 30 and November 18 Terry came into contact with the two young children of two mothers. The first mother he became friendly with lived in Blackpool and then moved to Bolton where she shared an address with the second mother.

Terry stayed overnight and at times went with the mums when they collected the children from school and nursery.

Mr Isherwood said: “The Crown says he deliberately targeted two young women with children.

“The women were vulnerable, both having been the victims of domestic violence.

“The Crown says he is a dangerous sexual predator. He was in essence grooming them in the knowledge they had young children.”

Brett Chappell, defending, said Terry’s previous conviction for inciting a girl under 16 to engage in a sexual act revolved around both of them sending nude photographs to each other. Terry had believed she was an adult and there was never any physical contact between them.

Terry had met the mothers when he went on a rare night out. They were friends of friends and there was no evidence he had targeted them. Terry had never been left alone with the children.

Terry was refused bail and remanded in custody to appear for sentence on December 16 at Preston Crown Court by Blackpool magistrates.