Sacked man’s knife threat

Tony Monteiro
Tony Monteiro
Have your say

A SACKED employee armed himself with 13 kitchen knives and drove almost 25 miles in a rage threatening to kill his former boss.

Gary Darwen, 44, of Queen’s Promenade, Blackpool, was stopped by police on the M65, before he was able to confront Antonio Monteiro, who he blamed for the loss of his job.

They worked together at InBev’s Samlesbury brewery, until Darwen was suspended in February 2011.

Preston Crown Court heard that Darwen developed an “unhealthy hatred” for his boss and blamed him for his work problems.

On September 9 last year, Darwen’s wife contacted police to say her husband was on the way to attack his ex-boss and a block of 13 knives was missing from their home.

Police found Darwen travelling to Samlesbury. He told officers he had intended to kill Mr Monteiro.

He pleaded guilty to making threats to kill and was jailed for two years. He was also given a 12-month concurrent sentence for possessing an offensive weapon. A further two counts of threatening to kill were laid on file.

He was also made the subject of a restraining order preventing him from contacting Mr Monteiro.

DC Sue Smith said: “Gary Darwen became obsessed with a consuming hatred towards his manager following his dismissal.

“He was suffering from physical and mental health issues which may have contributed towards his harbouring intentions to kill his manager, with 13 knives.

“It is most fortunate that on the day of the incident his wife contacted the police to alert them in relation to these matters.

“They were able to effectively intervene and prevent Darwen from carrying out his threats.

“At the time of the incident, Darwen was considered to be a dangerous and unpredictable man.

“The term of imprisonment reflects the serious nature of these offences, hopefully imprisonment will address his anger issues.

“This must have been a very stressful and concerning time for Mr Monteiro.”

Darwen was subcontracted to work at InBev by Neales Waste Management.

InBev declined to comment on the case.