Rescue drama at blaze home

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

NEIGHBOURS have spoken of their shock after a woman was rescued from her blazing home.

Fire crews were called to the property on Hawes Side Lane, Marton, in the early hours of yesterday, after the alarm was raised by a neighbour.

The fire, which broke out in the bedroom, is believed to have been started by a cigarette.

The woman had attempted to tackle the flames but was overcome by smoke.

She became trapped upstairs in the house and had to be rescued by firefighters from South Shore Fire Station.

Neighbour Seanna Taylor, 22, said she was awoken by flashing lights at around 1.30am yesterday.

She said: “I looked out and there was an ambulance, a fire engine and a police van.

“I couldn’t see any flames or smoke or anything so I wasn’t really sure what was going on but there were a lot of people around.

“I should think there were around 11 officers, they seemed to be laying on the ground sorting equipment out.

“Someone was brought out of the house. There was a lot of activity so I couldn’t see much but I was shocked to see so many lights and emergency vehicles around, I hoped everything was OK.”

The woman was taken to hospital but was released an hour later.

Steve Palmer, watch manager at South Shore Fire Station, said: “At the moment we believe this fire was caused by smoking materials.

“A neighbour heard the smoke alarm and called the fire brigade. She was very blackened by the time we rescued her and got her out. “

The upper levels of the house were smoke damaged and the bed was destroyed.