'Pure evil' thug jailed for life over bite attack in Blackpool flat

A man who pinned his victim down and bit him repeatedly in the face before claiming he was acting in self defence has been jailed for life.

Monday, 6th August 2018, 1:48 pm
Updated Monday, 6th August 2018, 1:53 pm
Lee Scott rang police while he was carrying out the attack and had to be physically restrained by officers when they arrived at his Blackpool flat.

Lee Scott's 'pure evil' attack left his victim, who he had invited into his Blackpool flat, with 'horrendous' facial injuries, police said.

The 42-year-old, of Havelock Street, was jailed at Burnley Crown Court on Friday.

The court was told Scott had been drinking and taken drugs and was socialising with the victim, 54, in his flat when he attacked suddenly.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He pinned the older man to the floor and bit him in the face, injuring his nose, cheek, upper lip and ear.

During the assault Scott rang police, telling operators what he was doing. Police arrived at the flat, on Havelock Street, to find the attack was ongoing and had to physically restrain the 42-year-old.

Scott was arrested and charged with wounding but pleaded not guilty before trial, claiming he acted in self defence after he suffered a cut finger during the earlier altercation.

A jury took just one hour to convict him at trial in July, with Scott handed a life sentence with a minimum term of 10 years on Friday.

Det Con Chris Hammond, of Lancashire Police, said: “Lee Scott’s actions that night were pure evil.

“The defendant bit the victim numerous times on the face, causing serious injuries to his cheek, nose, ear and upper lip. The victim was left with some of the most horrendous injuries I have ever seen.

“When the police arrived they were met with an utterly unspeakable scene and had to remove the defendant off the victim, who was still carrying out his attack.

“As if this horrendous act of violence was not enough, the defendant had earlier called the police telling them what he was doing.

“Scott was found to have no mental health issues and pleaded not guilty, saying his extreme actions were self-defence, having suffered a cut finger during the earlier incident.

“The victim has had to undergo seven operations and spent three months in hospital. He has thankfully made a remarkable recovery, however still has life-changing injuries. This crime has understandably had a significant psychological impact on him and I hope in time that he is able to move on with his life. I further commend his bravery for giving evidence in court.

“The sentence handed down by the court reflects Scott’s savage actions and we welcome the court result.”