Power surge home blaze

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

AN electrical surge is believed to have caused a house fire in Thornton.

One crew from Fleetwood fire station was sent to a property on Borage Close in Thornton after an electrical switch set alight yesterday.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put the fire out just before 5pm.

They also used a thermal imaging camera and ventilation unit to clear smoke.

A spokesman from the fire service said: “It is believed there had been an electrical surge on the mains power externally which has caused a house fire and problems in other houses on the close.”

United Utilities were called to the street.

An electrical switch, clothes and airing cupboard were damaged by the fire in one house and there was damage to electrical items in other properties on the close.