Post put in for North Shore diversion will be removed after complaints '“ and with no diversion in place
A metal pole concreted into the middle of a North Shore pavement, sparking complaints that people with a wheelchair, mobility scooter, or pushchair may be forced into the road, will be removed.
The post was put in Waverley Avenue and was set to advertise a possible diversion route away from nearby Devonshire Road, where work is being done to repair the railway bridge.
However, with a diversion not currently in place – the council has been trialling temporary traffic lights instead of a part-closure – the authority said it will be removed.
The decision came after Jo Gillespie, 39, manager at Scentsations florist in Devonshire Road, said: “It means some people will have no choice but to go in the road to get past, and if a car is parked there then they won’t be able to get past at all.”
Dave Bradley, 38, who runs Links Road Care Home, added: “It is a bit of a hindrance and not very thoughtful. It’s a tight space and, if a car is parked there and I was pushing a wheelchair, I would have to cross over to the other side or go out into the road.”
Last month, The Gazette reported how diversion signs had been dug into the ground by council workers after plans for the diversion had already been put on hold.
The authority said the signs would be covered up to avoid confusion, but it led to allegations road bosses were not serious about its two-week rial of traffic lights.
Coun Fred Jackson, the council’s roads boss, said: “This post was put in place in case it was necessary to advise motorists of a diversion route for the Devonshire Road bridge works.
“Although it has been located correctly from a technical point of view, I can completely understand how it could be a nuisance to pedestrians and common sense should prevail.
“The last thing we want to do is make things difficult for pedestrians so the post will be removed, and if we do put the diversion route in at any time we will find a more suitable place to locate it.”
The bridge repair work is set to last another 13 weeks. A decision on the lights trial, which came to an end in recent days, is expected today (Tuesday).