Post mortem for pub collapse man

Owd Nell's Tavern in Bilsborrow
Owd Nell's Tavern in Bilsborrow
Share this article
Have your say

A POST mortem will be held this week following the death of a young man who collapsed on a night out.

Tributes have been paid to Matthew Hesmondhalgh, 22, who was enjoying a drink with friends at Owd Nell’s Tavern, at Guy’s Thatched Hamlet, in Bilsborrow, when he lost consciousness.

Matthew Hesmondhalgh

Matthew Hesmondhalgh

Friends of the former Garstang High School pupil rang his parents, who arrived to find paramedics battling in vain to save their son’s life.

Matthew’s mother Paula said: “We were thinking ‘Come on Matt, come back, where are you?’

“The paramedics were wonderful with him. You wonder how they can carry on for so long. They were doing their best.

“He was quiet and conscientious, but he could be the life and soul of the party, when he was out with friends.

“He had time for everyone. He was a good listener and he liked lots of hobbies. He would do anything for anybody.

“It is such as waste of a beautiful, beautiful boy.”

Matthew, from Catterall, collapsed just before 10.44pm on Monday and was taken to Royal Preston Hospital where he died hours later.

Preston Coroner’s Court confirmed a post mortem would be held this week.

Matthew’s father, Barry, said: “We were at the hospital until 2am, but we never saw him alive.

“We thought he was alive but it was just in our hopes.

“He will not be forgotten by anybody who knew him.”

Matthew, who volunteered as a Sunday School assistant at St Thomas Church, in Garstang, had previously suffered with ill health.

He had glandular fever at the age of 14 and suffered post-viral fatigue for a year afterwards. Matthew was forced to leave Lancaster University, where he was studying maths, towards the end of his second year when his health deteriorated.

He had been hoping to return to university, but had recently been working part-time at a charity as well as doing a milk round in Catterall.