A POPULAR restaurant has been hit with a fine after inspectors uncovered a catalogue of food hygiene offences.
Environmental Health officials found out-of-date and mouldy food when they visited Italian restaurant Mamma’s Too, on St Andrews Road South, St Annes.
The investigation was sparked by a customer complaint in April last year and revealed “poor conditions and unfit food”.
Officials paid three separate visits to the town-centre premises and food safety officers found “high risk foods such as home-cooked chicken breast that were unsafe for consumption”.
There were also mouldy pancakes and chillies and out-of-date packages of pasta and raw chicken breasts, while surfaces inside the walk-in fridge were dirty.
Owner Giovanni Tiribocchi had received verbal and written warnings previously about management of stock and Fylde Council officials said he failed to act.
Coun Tom Threlfall, portfolio holder for environment and partnerships at the council, said: “Officers will always offer advice and support to businesses, but the council will not hesitate to take enforcement action.”
Mr Tiribocchi pleaded guilty to eight charges of failing to comply with food hygiene regulations.
Mr Tiribocchi, who received a £1,400 fine, said: “These incidents occurred early last year and were down to technical hitches arising from a newly introduced food labelling system.
“The food the customer complained about was sent for analysis and came back clear. Fylde Council have guaranteed a grade four out of five rating for food hygiene when the new national rating system comes into effect in April. I’m deeply sorry about this situation and have since rectified all problems and thank customers for their continued support.”