Planning fight over homes bid

Public meeting in Wesham
Public meeting in Wesham
0
Have your say

RESIDENTS are gearing up to fight plans for a controversial countryside housing development for a second time.

Metacre Ltd has submitted revised plans to develop the open space off Mowbreck Lane, in Wesham, and build 100 new homes.

And next week unhappy residents will gather in the town’s community centre to work out how to fight the plans.

The meeting has been organised by the town council and Wesham Action Group, who were formed to fight Metacre’s earlier plan to build 264 homes, which was thrown out by the High Court last year.

Coun Linda Nulty said: “The meeting is in response to the application for 100 homes.

“There’s very strong feeling about it in the town. People can’t believe it’s come back so quickly again after the judicial review which turned it down.

“It’s a similar scheme but a lower numbers of houses, but I don’t think that will make any difference.

“People don’t want that piece of land built on with however many houses.”

Click here to register with The Gazette website to enable you to comment on stories.

The first application was rejected by Fylde Council’s planning committee – which will also decide this application – before being turned down by secretary of state Eric Pickles at appeal and then again by a high court judge.

Campaigners against the development have raised fears it represents a bid to build the “first phase” of the earlier, much larger development.

Metacre said it believes the new application takes into account the comments and recommendations made by Mr Pickles following the appeal.

They also believe the scheme is in keeping with the local character and surroundings.

The meeting will take place on January 11 at 7pm in Wesham Community Centre.