PICTURES: Probe into cause of guesthouse blaze begins

The building was engulfed by flames (Pic: Aaron Owen)
The building was engulfed by flames (Pic: Aaron Owen)
0
Have your say

Palatine Road in central Blackpool remains closed this morning after a fire tore through a guesthouse.

Fire officials have launched an investigation into the blaze, which started at around 11.15pm yesterday, and are expected to be at the scene for most of the day.

An aerial ladder platform tackled the fire from above (Pic: Blackpool Fire Station)

An aerial ladder platform tackled the fire from above (Pic: Blackpool Fire Station)

Residents living close to the three-storey building, which is understood to have been empty, were evacuated as five fire engines and one aerial ladder platform were called to tackle the fire.

The guesthouse was engulfed by the time crews arrived, a fire service spokesman said, with the fire spreading rapidly and going unnoticed for some time.

A spokeswoman for Lancashire Police said officers are helping with the investigation.

MORE TO FOLLOW

The building has been left a blackened shell (Pic: Blackpool Fire Station)

The building has been left a blackened shell (Pic: Blackpool Fire Station)

Part of the guesthouse's roof has collapsed, it is understood (Pic: Blackpool Fire Station)

Part of the guesthouse's roof has collapsed, it is understood (Pic: Blackpool Fire Station)

The road was closed and residents evacuated because of the fire (Pic: Kenny Walker)

The road was closed and residents evacuated because of the fire (Pic: Kenny Walker)

Smoke filled the night sky (Pic: Kenny Walker)

Smoke filled the night sky (Pic: Kenny Walker)

Residents were evacuated (Pic: Kenny Walker)

Residents were evacuated (Pic: Kenny Walker)

Smoke billowed out into the street as firefighters tackled the fire (Pic: Kenny Walker)

Smoke billowed out into the street as firefighters tackled the fire (Pic: Kenny Walker)

The fire went undetected for a time and spread rapidly, the fire service said (Pic: Blackpool Fire Station)

The fire went undetected for a time and spread rapidly, the fire service said (Pic: Blackpool Fire Station)